This section contains photographic images of the pubs in Hatfield town area.
Bar 12, Comet Way – building was originally used as a bank.
Note (24.01.12): ceased trading. Future uncertain.
Cat & Fiddle, St Albans Road West – originally called The New Fiddle and later The Fiddle it is reported to date back to 1822 (although the building appears much more modern – in keeping with suggestions that it was built to cater for de Havilland workers).
Note (03.09.12): ceased trading at the end of August. Site to be developed for accommodation.
Cavendish Arms, Bishops Rise – part of the post-war new town development of Hatfield.
Horse & Groom, Park Street, Old Hatfield – nice, low-timbered ceiling and old country pub interior. Dates back to at least 1806. Together with The Eight Bells was used as a location for Foyle's War.
Mai Tai, Town Centre – Located in what used to be the pool hall of the White Hart. Mai Tai itself used to in The Galleria (occupying the space originally used by The Trading Post, and later by Sheila's Bar and Cosy Mel's)
Rendezvous, Town Centre – Located in what used to be Lisa's Bar (previously Indigo Bar and Gould's clothing shop). Run by Margaret who managed Mai Tai when it was in The Galleria (on the site previously used by The Trading Post / Sheila's Bar). Please note: there is no disabled access for the first floor of the Market Place.
The Airfield, Comet Way – strictly speaking it is not located on the former airfield and is more of a restaurant than pub.
The Eight Bells, Old Hatfield – undoubtedly Hatfield's most famous pub and dates back to at least the 18th Century (but probably older). It is a leading contender for being the pub that the Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist character, Bill Sikes, sought refuge in after murdering Nancy.
The Green Man, Mill Green – an older pub but interior has been gutted leaving it with a more modern look and feel. Dates back to at least 1850.
[Please note (26.05.10): this pub closed suddenly and it's not clear if and when it is likely to reopen]
The Harrier, Hilltop, Bishops Rise – designed by Lionel Gordon Baliol Brett, later 4th Viscount Esher, and opened in 1959 as part of the New Town development of Hatfield. The shops at the back were still under construction when Patrick McGoohan filmed the episode of the TV series, Secret Agent, which is thought to have been the inspiration for his best known series, The Prisoner.
The Great Northern, Old Hatfield – across the road from the station was once a Great Northern Railway hotel. Called The Douro Arms until 1859 (Duoro is a region of Portugal famous for growing the grapes for Port wine. However, the name may be related to the Duke of Wellington, a regular visitor to Hatfield, who was created as the Marquess of Douro in 1814). Rebuilt around 1900. Also previously traded as The Hatfield Arms until it reopened under the current name in June 2012.
The Hopfields, Birchwood – oldest of the three McMullen – a Hertfordshire brewery family firm – pubs in the town (the others being The Harrier and The Red Lion). Built in 1937.
The Red Lion, Great North Road – McMullens pub that is quite old (dates back to around 1801) but recently underwent a major makeover with housing built on the car park and the Cranborne Rooms, its function suite, demolished and turned into a beer garden.
The Town Inn, Town Centre – formerly called The White Hart (built around 1960) has undergone a change in management and a refit since.
The Wrestlers, Great North Road – used to be called The Two Wrestlers. Also dates back to at least the 18th Century. Has a nice old country pub style interior.