Images of Hatfield – Landmarks (East)

This section contains photographic images of some landmarks in the eastern part of Hatfield.

de Havilland Aircraft Company HQ building - thumbnailGreat Nast Hyde House - thumbnailMacLaurin and Bishops Square office buildings - smallT-Mobile HQ - thumbnailNew houses, Mosquito Way - thumbnailComet Assembly Building - thumbnail

Please note: divisions used are a rough guide and not based on the formal ward boundaries: 

Eastern Area (Incl. Airfield and Ellenbrook):  Hatfield Avenue; A1001 Comet Way; A414 North Orbital Road.


Former de Havilland Aircraft Company HQ building - white, art deco

The de Havilland Aircraft Company headquarters building – designed by the firm of James M Monro & Son of Glasgow, it originally opened in 1934. Now part of a Police and Court complex.


 Great Nast Hyde House - brick construction

Great Nast Hyde House – dates back to around the late 16th Century. Once used by the de Havilland Aircraft Company, now a private residence.


MacLaurin and Bishops Square office buildings with pond and fountain in front

MacLaurin Building, University of Hertfordshire, and part of the Bishop Square office complex – the complex is named after aircraft designer Ronald E Bishop, whose most famous creation was the DH.98 de Havilland Mosquito which made its maiden flight from Hatfield.


T-Mobile HQ office complex

T-Mobile head office complex – part of the new developments on the old airfield.


New housing on the airfield - red brickwork and cream plastering

New houses, Mosquito Way – Hatfield airfield was very important social centre during the Thirties although few traces remain. This is some of the new housing built on the site.


Former Comet Assembly Building and Airfield Control Tower

Comet (Flight Test ) Hangar and Control Tower – now used as a leisure centre and gym, the world's first commercial jet airliner was built here. Designed in the 1950s by James M Monro & Son, the architecture firm that designed the original factory buildings in the 1930s (this is possibly one of their last commissions as the firm closed in 1955).


Top ^


Back to: Hatfield Landmarks


Back to: Hatfield Photo Gallery



Copyright © 2009, 2012 D H Markus. All rights reserved. No liability is accepted for the accuracy of information in this site.