These are some of the well known auctions and markets in Hatfield or related to the town.
The Bishops of Ely, who owned the Manor of Hatfield, were granted a licence in 1318 by King Edward II, to hold a weekly market and an annual fair.
Today, there is a bi-weekly market (Wednesdays and Saturdays) and a monthly farmers' market (first Saturday of the month).
As a main coaching stop on the Great North Road from London, Hatfield's strategic location led to details of some important sales and auctions advertised in the newspapers being kept at the town's principal inns – usually the Salisbury Arms (shut) and the Red Lion. Among the individuals and firms advertising in Hatfield was a John Christie who gave his name to the world renown firm of auctioneers Christies.
Actual auctions – particularly for livestock and timber trees – were held in Hatfield from time to time.
Living Crafts – Europe's largest arts and crafts fair is held at the exhibition grounds at Hatfield House (usually in May). Hatfield House Country Show is held later in the year.